Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The best thing my doctor ever did for me!!!!

Hey Everybody,

If you know in my real life -- you know that I am hooked up to an IV pole today getting chemo. So for those of you with Ovarian Cancer I thought I would write a little bit about how a positive attitude and a life saving lecture from my doctor have kept me going for the past couple of years.

When I was hospitalized in 2011, I was awakened early in my first morning ( and  I mean EARLY) by the way too cheerful face of Dr. Terry Smith, who announced that he was one of my oncologists until they figured out what kind of cancer I had. Having an actual Oncologist was a bit scary but, I hit the internet and found out as much as I could about my doctor and learned pretty quickly that I was in good hands.

A few days later  in the hospital, Dr. Smith once again came into my room at some ungodly early hour and announced that he finally knew what kind of cancer I had: Ovarian Cancer Stage 4. He then sat down on my bed and took a look at my laptop sitting on the tray table next to me and he said a few words I will never forget, " do not research your cancer, don't look it up, don't ask anyone on the internet about it!!".

 I was floored, I am a logical kind of girl who likes to have facts and figures at hand. I have always had a positive attitude but, I always figured that the best part of succeeding in anything comes with research and preparation. Turns out Dr. Smith was right, he got all the tumor and I had a full year of good health before some minor glitches caused me to be in chemo again. Turns out positive thinking plays a huge roll in cancer survival..

If you don't believe me check out www.cancer.im  a website designed for cancer patients based on a recent European study that found that one of the biggest predictors of cancer survival is "quality of life". In other words if you are happy and stay positive.. you will live longer. I kind of suspect that holds true no matter what challenges you face in life!

*** If you are intersted in reading more about the study and cancer.im check out their free kindle book on Amazon.com, " The Cancer Patient User Manual" .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!