Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Survivors Blog April 3, 2013.. I found a very helpful website for patients.

When I came up with the idea for this blog I also thought I would create some kind of website to help Ovarian Cancer patients. As I was doing research on what my web creation would look like, I stumbled on www.medgift.com and wished I had come up with it.

The site was created by Diem Brown, a young lady who is now in her second round of ovarian cancer recurrence. She is sort of a celebrity, having been featured on MTV back when she had her first bout with Ovarian Cancer. Diem created www.medgift.com as a simple way to help cancer patients express their needs during treatment and beyond. Her web site allows a patient ( any kind of patient) to register on her site for free and create a profile. The idea is the site works like a gift registry. The patient puts in their needs and posts them on the site for friends and family to fill if they wish to do so. Genius!!!



She has freed patients from having to embarrass ourselves asking for help if we need it. The site provides a ready made list of things a patient might need and also lets you add your own items to the list of  options. Medgift  has all sorts of options for gifts ranging from monetary contributions (such as chipping in with a hospital bill) to gifts of time ( like pet sitting while the patient is hospitalized). She has also given patients a vehicle to express our wishes in our own time..when we feel well enough to do so ( I cannot tell you the number of times well meaning friends would ask .."Is there something I can do to help you? " and I was just too sick to come up with one single thing they could do to help!). Her web site allows your family and friends to do something much more meaningful and useful than sending flowers or a card.

This way when a friend or family member wants to help.. they can really do so!!!

So if you feel like helping myself and Oscar you can find me on www.medgift.com at Tara Dempsey Robinson.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!