Saturday, October 12, 2013

Survivor's Blog- October 12, 2013. Eye care during chemo.

If you have ever had to have chemotherapy treatments for cancer, you know that the treatment changes your vision. Sometimes the changes in your vision are permanent, other times they are due to the chemo shrinking your eyes. The shrinking in your eyes is from loss of moisture and likely will change again as soon as you are no longer on chemo. If you have vision issues during chemo, you will have to forgo your contact lenses and go to glasses for the duration of the treatment.If you are insured like I am, your insurance may cover vision care. In my case, our insurance does provide for vision care but, the percentage they pay for is so small that I have never used my vision coverage.

Since I am a woman who likes getting a good value ( and I have a whole blog based on " cheap thrills"). The moment I found out I could not wear my contacts, I started investigating the cheapest and best ways to get my hands on prescription glasses that I could wear during my treatment. What I found is that there are several retail stores that allow you to purchase exams and eye wear at a discount. The one that seems to offer the best deals ( in my area) on an exam is" America's Best". The trick is to use their services wisely. This is how you get the best deal on an exam:

1. Call and schedule your exam.

2. When they ask why you are getting an exam, tell them you want to be examined for both contacts and glasses.

3. When you go in remember to stress to them that you want a contacts and eyeglass prescription ( if you don't tell them they will charge your for a second appointment to get the contacts prescripton) and have them give you a copy of your prescription when you are done with your exam. If they refuse to give you a copy ask if you can have your eyeglass store contact them for the prescription.

4. The cheapest way to get an exam is to join the "Eyecare Club". The cost is $99.00 to become a member and the club gives you a couple of benefits. The first benefit is that the $99.00 you spend gives you 3 yearly exams. This means you get one exam every year for a total of 3 years. The second benefit of joining the club is a 3 year discount on any eye glasses you purchase from their store or online. The store has outlets all over the USA and you can use it at any location - just keep your receipt.

5. Once you have your exam and your prescription you can buy your glasses or contacts right at America's Best if you like. If I am going to buy my glasses from them I make sure to schedule my appointment when they are having a 2 pair for $69.00 sale ( the sale offers you several price points that you can get two pairs for, you just have to pick how high you want to go in price).

6. Be very careful if you do buy your glasses in store that you ask for the price on everything! Tints, bifocals, transition lenses,and other add ons cost money and can kill your savings pretty quickly.

7. If you geel like the price on glasses or contacts  is too high in the store: take your prescription and hit the internet. There are a number of sites out there that offer inexpensive glasses. Two of my favorites are:

www.eyeglasses.com

www.1800contacts.com

Of course, you can also walk in with your prescription and use it at any of the Club Stores or Wal Mart to buy glasses there. You do not have to have an exam someplace in order to be able to buy glasses from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!