Sunday, May 5, 2013

Survivor's Blog May 5, 2013- What to wear if you are prone to chemo hand and foot syndrome?

Last week, my doctor switched me from a platinum based chemotherapy regime to Doxil. I almost refused to try the Doxil treatment because the list of side effects is so long and scary. The worst side effects for me have to do with the skin problems that come with Doxil. Many of the problems are due to " hand and foot syndrome" which is basically blistering or splitting of the skin on your hands and feet due to pressure or friction on your skin after you have been treated with Doxil. For me this is a very scary thing because I work with my hands as a cake decorator. As a teacher I am on my feet during class, so my feet are also a concern.

This post will address one of the items on the list of side effects. As a Doxil patient, you cannot wear tight fitting clothing or clothing that will put pressure on your skin. Jeans are out because they are snug and have buttons & zippers that can cause pressure sores when you wear them. The biggest issue with this side effect is that I have to follow dress code at Michael's where I work, and they specify nice jeans or khakis for our uniform. Yes, I could  have asked to be the exception to the dress code but, I am tired of always being different due to Cancer. Time to search for a different solution.

I also have to point out that I love my jeans,  they are one of the few things that I have not had to change due to all this cancer stuff. I was really reluctant to give them up. I promised my family and friends that I would do everything I could to get myself well. Do I really want to run around in Mu mu's and look like Mrs. Roper in an old episode of " Three's Company"?

I decided looking like Mrs. Roper was not going to cut it,  and I  started looking around for a solution to the snug fitting clothes issue. I came across a silly but simple solution: Pajama Jeans. That's right folks, I purchased a pair of Pajama Jeans ( as seen on TV). I have had them for 3 weeks now and they are great. No one knows they are not real jeans! They feel like sweats: soft and a bit stretchy and yet they look like dark washed jeans. Pajama Jeans come in many washes and I had a bunch to choose from on Amazon. So far they are washing out really well. The coolest thing is you can adjust the fit with a hidden drawstring.

The only downside I have found is that they are warmer than regular blue jeans which may be an issue later in the summer. Plus since I am a couponer, I did find that Pajama Jeans cost more than I like to pay for my regular jeans. In this case I sucked it up and paid the extra money figuring that skin without blisters is worth the extra $20.00 per pair.

For now, the pajama jeans have solved any worries I might have about Doxil side effects blistering or making my skin sore when I wear jeans.


 
Pajama Jeans in the medium wash!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!