Thursday, May 2, 2013

Survivor's Blog - May 2, 2013- Update and photo of my favorite chemo helper!!

Hi Everyone-

Normally, I try to keep this blog as positive as I can. I want to keep all of you up on tips and tricks to help yourself or a family member who is going through cancer. Today however, I find myself unable to call and thank all the people who have taken time out to wish me well or offer us help this week. I have emails and Facebook posts from people wanting updates. So today I wanted to take a minute and let everyone know that I am fine!!! I  want to thank all of you for your good wishes and help along the way.... particularly my sister who drove all the way from North Carolina at three in the morning to be my chemo advocate. My husband, Oscar, who took the day off today to load me up and do it all over again today. ( I used to drive myself to my second and third days of treatment but, after the last two times, I promised  the nurses I would no longer drive myself!). I also wanted to ask all of you to extend your good wishes to my sister in law, Bonnie, who had to go to scary cancer related scans at another facility yesterday--  I am so sorry we could not be there with her.

It's May already and I am still bogged down in all this chemo stuff. I had though when the cancer returned that I would be done with treatment already but, that was not to be. So yesterday I started another round of chemo that they are hoping I will be able to tolerate: Doxil. The list of side effects is so long and scary I almost decided to refuse treatment! After many weeks of consideration, and talking with several nurses, counselors, and doctors, I decided to try the treatment, if I get too sick I will stop and try something else I guess.

So my sister, Erin, drove down here yesterday and took me to my first chemo session. It is the first time, I was actually terrified about going to treatment!! It was not an easy day. At the start of the Doxil IV, I started to have an allergic reaction so they slowed the whole process down and at least got me treated.

While all of this was going on, my favorite visitor came to see me. Phoenix is a therapy dog and I actually look forward to seeing him each time I go to treatment. He cracks me up because he is so unlike the other therapy dogs. He has this attitude like " I'm here, better put my head in your lap and get this over with .. so I can get going". He makes me smile every time I see him  because, I know exactly how he feels.... it is the same way I feel about all this treatment stuff!!!


Pheonix and I on April 30, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!