Saturday, May 4, 2013

Survivor's Blog- May 4, 2013- All natural healing cream you can make at home...




As many of you may know, I also write a second blog to support my cake, jewelry, and coupon classes: http://sweetcakesandsparklythings.blogspot.com/ . I often post recipes there that relate to cake classes, or ways to save money.

This all natural cold cream recipe is actually a nice money saver (if you buy your olive oil using a coupon).  It has the added advantage of being very easy on sensitive skin. The cream is also super moisturizing so you can use it to keep your skin from getting all flaky from chemo, or as a cold cream to remove make up.  The finished product has almost no scent.

I started making soaps and cosmetics using books from the library because, I had so many chemical sensitivities. After a bunch of experimenting, I found out I could make my own soaps & creams that were all natural or organic for pennies on the dollar. When I found out I could save money and not break out in hives,  I started making up my own recipes to fit in with my life style. This is my take on a classic cold cream recipe.


Simple Moisturizing Cream

1/4 tsp. borax
1/4 cup distilled or filtered water
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tbsp. beeswax pellets ( these can be purchased on eBay)

In a glass bowl dissolve the borax in the water, set aside. In the top pan of a double boiler mix the olive oil and beeswax together over medium heat until they melt. When they are melted you need to heat the borax water mixture to a simmer. You can do this in your double boiler( with a second pan) or it can be microwaved until it almost boils. I then pour the borax/water mixture into my small food processor bowl and pulse it a few times ( it is very important to use the small bowl and scrape it down if needed).  I then stream the hot beeswax mixture in to my blender or small food processor bowl with it turned on. I just keep adding all the oil until it emulsifies. It should look just like cold cream. Recipe yields about 1/2 cup of cold cream.

I package this in small one ounce containers ( I use my old mineral make up containers but, you can buy new ones on eBay if you want).  The container that is in use can be stored in your medicine cabinet. The containers you are not using, can be put in the refrigerator and moved to the medicine cabinet as needed- it lasts much longer this way. It has been a life saver for me because my skin does not react to it. Before you slather it on, test it on a small area to make sure you are not allergic.
 Finished Cream before I pack it in small containers.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!