Thursday, October 11, 2012

Survivor's Blog- October 11, 2012 - Art as Therapy

I have had a truly awful week except for my students and classes! So I thought I would post some of my recent work to show you how art works as therapy for me. Art can lift your spirits and take you away from what is happening with your health. Art can also help you process your feelings about all this Cancer stuff.

 I still do not have feeling in the ends of my fingers. I can use my whole hand,  but nueropathy from Chemotherapy treatments has caused me to have fingers that feel vaguely like I am wearing oven mitts all day long. I figured out early on that creativity was a great way to divert my attention from my chemo treatments and from the pain that comes with Ovarian Cancer. If I was too sick to do the art myself, I spent my time enjoying the work of others. During my first stay in the hospital my niece, Courtney, stayed with me the whole time. She spent her days making beautiful jewelry for herself and some of the nurses.  As a jewelry maker, I was actually able to become absorbed in teaching her new techniques even while I was hooked up to an IV pole.

Those of you who know me, know that my first artistic love is cooking. I actually teach cake decorating and my students have been  a huge part of my recovery. They teach me new things every day about technique, artistic vision, and patience. I was at work the minute I felt well enough. I let their artwork  inspire me. ( If you would like to see what I mean visit my other blog www.sweetcakesandsparklythings.blogspot.com ).

In the meantime, I started feeling well enough to do a bit of work on my own. I am not up to my precancer level of craftsmanship but, that is OK! The disability is actually forcing me to think outside the box and explore new mediums. This little cake topper is my entry for the South Carolina State Fair this week. I used Fondant, Gum Paste, Cocoa and Royal Icing- all of this is edible. I won't win any prizes at our fair with this ( the subject matter is too dark)  but, I do have the satisfaction of having completed my first artwork post cancer. Plus I figured out how to sculpt beautifully realistic pumpkins and squash....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!