Saturday, October 27, 2012

Bug Bites Post Cancer- A Few Tips about Cellulitis & Lymph Edema

Here is one that my Oncologist completely "forgot" to inform me about: Lymph Edema and Cellulitis. Lymph Edema is a side effect of any type of surgery that removes lymph nodes from your body. The lymph system needs every lymph node you were born with to work properly. If you have lymph nodes removed, the lymphatic fluid under your skin cannot move through your body properly and toxins build up. I kept complaining of swollen ankles and feet when I was going through chemo and nobody at my treatment center clued me in to Lymph Edema. I found out I had it when I went for a second opinion with another Oncologist ( I just wanted to make sure my treatment was on track).


If you have had lymph nodes removed and you are swelling up, there is Physical Therapy you can get that will help you learn to manage this problem. I took several weeks of therapy where I learned to manage the issue. Please be aware before you ask to see a Physical Therapist for this issue that you find out what treatment will cost -- it is my understanding that so far NO insurance covers the bandages, casts and other things you will need for treatment. If you have my type of insurance- they will cover almost nothing at all!!!! Leaving me with an HUGE bill for treatment I could not live without. ( Negotiation is the way to handle this, talk to the billing department before you get treatment.)

What I cannot seem to get control of are some of the Lymph Edema side effects. On a limb that is affected with Lymph Edema you have to be VERY careful not to get cut, or poked, or bitten by any  bugs. I am training to be a Master Gardener so this is a tough one for me. I have found out that Fire Ants have no respect for bug repellent, or gloves, or long sleeves. When I get bitten the poison doesn't move up my limb and out like it should. I have to be very careful not to get an infection. I have learned that if the area gets red and hot, I need to head for Doctor and the antibiotics. The last infection I had covered my entire upper leg.

So of course, today I came home sprayed on some bug spray, put on my gloves and went out to winterize my Roses. Somehow despite being as careful as I could - I picked up several fire ants.
This photo is the result, 5 ant bites and my whole forearm is red, swollen, and gross. Hopefully, I got to the topical antibiotics, cortisone, and Benadryl in time...

Stay tuned to this blog to see what happens!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!