Thursday, October 18, 2012

Eye Issues - some eyewear tips that would have helped me....

I am always puzzled by the things no one tells you when you go into cancer treatment. The American Cancer Society gives you a book with some helpful tips. However, it is a bit on the cheerful  side and does not elaborate on some of the things that happen to patients that are not so nice. A prime example of this is what chemo does to your vision. Here is what happened to my eyes, I hope it helps you if you go through this.

This past week I went in last week to get new glasses because, as many of you know you cannot wear your contact lenses during chemo treatment. I am several months past my last chemo treatment. I  waited to get glasses for a few months after treatment because chemo  physically changes the shape of your eyes.  I picked up my new glasses and I was really disappointed with them. The eye glass technician talked me into  "Transitions" lenses after I told her how sensitive my eyes are post cancer. I clearly told the technician I would be using them for indoor and outdoor wear.When I got the glasses back, they are not dark enough to protect my eyes when I am out side, it hurts to be in the sun. When I came back to the store and brought this to the attention of the Store Manager she said this is the case for many post chemo cancer patients. She told me that I must now wear Polarized sun glass lenses in a large set of frames order to be comfortable. Why couldn't someone have mentioned this to me up front?

Here is what I learned about eye care during my cancer journey:


Tip #1- If you are pre chemo and you wear contacts make sure you have a pair of glasses to wear when chemo starts. I went around the hospital half blind for weeks since I had no glasses to change into and could not get my contacts in.

Tip #2- Make sure you not only have eye glasses for inside but, prescription sunglasses for out side wear prior to your first treatment. My eyes were so painful I wore sunglasses inside a great deal of the time.

Tip # 3- Have a bottle of Sensitive Eye Care treatment for dry eyes hanging around the house for bad days.

Tip #4- Make sure to be treated post cancer by a doctor and eye glass store that are familiar with the needs of cancer patients post chemo or radiation treatment.

Tip #5- Be persistent. Those silly transitions glasses cost me almost $100.00 more than regular glasses and then I had to order a pair of sunglasses anyway. I made sure I spoke with the store manager and she credited the cost of the transitions lenses towards my new sun glasses. Why should I lose money because some one was not properly trained? 

Tip #6- Since I had to get polarized lenses,  I had my Doctor officially prescribe them so that I could submit the bill to my insurance (they are now medically necessary).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!