Thursday, October 4, 2012

About my battle with Ovarian Cancer.. Day 2

So, I already told you about how I landed in Lexington Medical Center on the night of June 3, 2012. The life changing stuff just keeps happening on June 4 ( and really has not stopped since!) Basically, I was moved to a room sometime after midnight on the night of June 3rd. They have no room for me in the Oncology ward so I ended up in with the Senior Citizens a floor away from the Oncology Ward. As soon as I reach the room, a CNA comes in and drops a computer print out on my bedside table. She says to me "this is what you are admitted for:Ascites". She does not explain a thing- just leaves me with a couple pages of paper. I tried to read them but, all I could glean from the pages was that I had a bunch of fluid built up in my gut that was actually starting to shut down my organs. The pages don't say a thing about my cancer- not one word!

I gave up trying to understand my diagnosis and decided to sleep. The shock of the whole thing has knocked me for a loop.Strangely enough, I am actually relieved to know what is wrong with me! I was sick for so long and I felt like I was the only one who knew that something was really wrong. I am not sure if the Doctor's ever thougth I had anything serious was going on until the day I was told I had cancer.

I can't remember if Oscar went home or what. He may have called my sister- I was really fading in and out and don't remember everything.

In a short time,  I am out like a light. I remember nurses coming in and waking me up several times that first night. Honestly I was just relieved to have some pain medicine on board, I had been sick for so long it was really rare for me to be out of pain ever!

Sometime around 4 Am, they woke me up to check me over and I could not get back to sleep. I kept thinking " how am I going to call my family in the morning and tell them I have cancer". I was terrified to make the call home to my Aunt Sue & Uncle Dick in Santa Cruz. They are my closest family and had just lost my Cousin Mike to cancer in November of 2011. We all missed him so much! After all the grief they had already been through how was I going to call home and explain that I too had cancer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!