Thursday, July 11, 2013

Survivor's Blog- July 11, 2013 Quick update on my chemotherapy and treatment..

Hi Everybody,

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for bearing with me as I go through this most recent set of chemo treatments. I know I promised you daily ( or close to daily) blog articles but, I have to bow the wishes of my body lately. This is why I also have not been calling many of you as much.. even talking wipes me out lately. I started chemo in January of 2013 and six months into treatment I am so exhausted that I spend a great deal of my time sleeping. If I can't sleep due to the steroids, then I am just resting.

The sleep allows me to accomplish just a few things each week. I can teach two or three simple two- hour classes at Michael's, so that I get a little bit of socializing in each week ( as a bonus I get paid). I can also make sure to do my couponing and keep the house stocked with groceries. I have to admit that lately I am using the handicapped scooter to do my shopping. I will warn any of you who live in my neighborhood and shop at Publix, I am the worst scooter driver in the world----WATCH OUT!!!!!! Finally, if I plan my time well I am still cooking a few simple dinners a week. So for those of you worried about Oscar, he is still being fed!

I just finished up my first three week round of chemotherapy using Topetecan. The results so far have been positive. For the first time in months, I did NOT have an allergic reaction to the chemo. This means this is a drug I can stay on for now. The second bit of good news is this: my CA125 blood levels have dropped significantly for the first time in months. My CA125 number is now 70. This is great news! It means that if I can finish the next two three-week cycles of Topetecan and the Pet scan that follows is clear, I will be off chemo for good. So wish me luck, and keep me in your thoughts and prayers. I have one week left in my second Topetecan cycle and then one final three week cycle after that- -if all goes well my last chemo treatment will happen on August 19th!!!

The other bit of stellar news we have had around here is that Coaly our beloved doggie is OK! Those of you here in town know that he had either a stroke or a seizure about 10 days ago. The vet could find no reason for the incident and he seems to be just fine now. So we are feeling very blessed that he is OK!!!

Hopefully, each week will be a little easier from now on......

1 comment:

  1. Love your positive, upbeat posts Tara. Sending continued healing loving thoughts your way sister! And passing on some of your optimism to my folks who are in the midst of their own struggle with the disease. Many Hugs! Joelle

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!