Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Survivor's Blog August 7, 2013: Adding " Cancer Fighting Foods" into your diet...

I am always looking for new ways to make myself better and stronger to fight this disease. The effects of chemo are always unpredictable and scary. I always try to do as much as I can to stay healthy otherwise. Recently I have been researching and trying " Angiogenic" foods. Angiogenic foods are food that cancer researchers believe will stop tumor growth. Many of the recommended foods are vegetables or fruit with a couple of fish choices as well. The problem I am finding is that each Cancer Society or Organization has a different list of foods posted and recommended as Angiogenic. Basically, I am not sure which list to believe? My gut tells me that if I just stick to a sensible diet high in fruit and vegetables and low in processed foods and meats I will do fairly well.

Here are some of the sites I found with lists of cancer fighting foods:

http://www.angio.org/programs-help.php  - The Angiogenesis Foundation

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-05-18/diet/34971937_1_breast-cancer-cancer-cell-growth-tumour-growth - Article by the Indian Council of Medical Research

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/5-foods-starve-cancer- Dr. Oz's list and article

http://www.aicr.org/foods-that-fight-cancer/?gclid=CPb9vP6s67gCFU6Z4AodnREApA- American Institute for Cancer Research *** This one seems to be the most comprehensive list. Most of it is common sense!!


 The big issue with preparing these Angiogenic foods (as anyone on chemo will tell you) is that some days it is truly an monumental task to prepare your own food. You are either to sick to manage making it or too sick to manage eating it. Other days I manage to make a meal and by the time I have made it I am too exhausted to eat it.The sickness also limits me eating on bad days (particularly fruits because they are a bit acidic and my esophagus's still is burnt from the effects of Doxil).

So for now, I am just trying to eat well and add angiogenic foods where I can. I will also keep researching to see if I can find some better answers than I have so far. Here is what we tried for dinner last night:

Stir Fry with Kale , Chia seeds, and lots of veggies over a mix of rice and quinoa... yummy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!