Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Survivor's Blog- April 30, 2013- A little support please???

As everyone who has cancer knows, this disease cannot be managed alone. I was out and about a tiny bit today, just trying to run errands. I must have looked really pitiful because, I had a number of people stop me to tell me I was going to be fine! I also had one woman stop me just to talk because she has been going through treatment for Ovarian Cancer for the better part of 8 years. I find it amazing what strangers will tell you just because you look bald!!! I will say that I do appreciate the support and the help. A big thank you to the nice young man at Publix who unloaded my groceries on to the conveyer at the register, bagged them, and helped me get them all in the car!!! I had a hard time just making it up my stairs today-- so every little bit of kindness helped.

As Ovarian Cancer patients we also need another type of support.. physical support. Ever since they took out the tumor my stomach muscles have not been very strong. Normally, I would be at the gym working to get them tighter but, I am still in treatment and most days I am just to sick to do much.

I found a really simple solution to my puffy tummy - maternity tank tops. They have just enough support to help you feel like your gut is not crawling over the top of your jeans, without being so tight as to cause any pain. Maternity tanks are also longer that regular tanks so you have extra support if you have that big old hysterectomy scar hanging over your belt. If I could I would just wear Spanx but, the tummy control they have is actually physically painful while I am on chemo. The maternity tanks are the only thing I have found that I can wear comfortably.

The cool thing is we have a Ross store close to the house where I can pick up the maternity tanks for about $5.00 each. So this purchase is actually a "cheap thrill" too. ( See my other blog for coupon and shopping tips.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!