Saturday, April 13, 2013

Survivors blog April 13,2013-Do something to brighten someone elses day...

I spent the better part of this past week  to an IV at the cancer treatment center. The staff here is wonderful, they go out of their way to be cheerful and helpful no matter what you throw at them.  Despite all their help, it is still hard to sit in room full  patients and be cheerful all the time. I look at  my cancer diagnosis as blessing . I was sick for so long that I was actually relieved to know what was wrong with me and be given a plan for treating it.  I am sure that my relief over the diagnosis actually threw my doctors at first.

 I have also noted that many of the patients next to me have had a much harder time processing their illness. So I decided to bring long a little cheer with me to treatment this week. While I was working at Michael's last week I used my discount  and picked up enough  bandannas for everyone in the treatment room. I then broke out  my plant gel and tulle bags and Erin helped fill and tie them up. That way during  treatment I could get up and hand a cooling scarf to everyone.

Turns out when Erin and I gave out the scarves it seemed to cheer everyone up  bit. I even had someone ask me to show them how to tie a silk scarf into a rose style head wrap like I was wearing that day. So I even spent a few minutes giving a scarf tying lesson.

Turns out the day that was brightened most was my own!!!


 ***Of course, I owe my friend and cancer mentor, Rebecca for teaching me how to make the scarves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!