Saturday, April 27, 2013

Survivor's Blog- April 27, 2013 Surviving Flushing and Flashing... either way I am hot!!!!!

I am starting this blog entry at 2:30 am on Saturday the 27th. Once again, I woke up from a dead sleep with my pillow soaked in sweat!!Of course, every other part of my body is freezing!!!

My head is so hot... I am not sure whether I am flushing from chemo allergies or flashing from menopause? According to my chemo nurse, I should know if I am flashing or flushing because, I can be treated for flushing. I can't tell what I am doing! All I know is my  head is hot. I am pretty sure only my pillow knows whether I am flashing or flushing ( and trust me it's not talking!).

Of course, if it were all menopause and if I were a normal person I could have hormone treatment to help all this. As an ovarian cancer patient, I cannot have any hormones to help this process along.

Anyway, since this has been happening since 2011, I was forced to find ways to cool myself down.  The best one I use at night is a cooling spray I keep next to my bed. I also have a smaller spray bottle in my purse for emergencies. I first tried a cooling spray manufactured by Avon for sore tired feet.. I loved it. However, it was not inexpensive. When I looked at the list of ingredients I realized I could make it for pennies at home. Here is the recipe I came up with:

Tara's Cooling Spray

2 Cups distilled or filtered water                                         
Lavender is calming and cooling!
5 drops peppermint essential oil

4 drops lavender essential oil

Put all the ingredients in a clean spray bottle and shake it to incorporate the ingredients. I like to bottle this in the small spray/mister you get in the travel section at Walgreen's. The spray can be stored in the fridge or next to your bed as long as it is out of the sunlight.

*** Before you spray it all over yourself , test the spray on a tiny area of skin to make sure you are not allergic to the essential oils.


***** If you are on chemo as you try this spray- make sure the smell does not bother you. If it is bothersome you can dilute the mixture with water until it is not offensive to you and it will still help cool you down.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!