Saturday, April 26, 2014

Survivor's Blog April 26, 2014- Shave your head if you have to have chemo!!!! ProStyles will do it for a special price....

The first thing I tell new cancer patients is always shave your head if you have to have chemo. If the doctor tells you that your hair will fall out - go immediately to the barber and get your head shaved! The reason for shaving your head is a nasty little secret the doctors don't tell you, about 10% off all cancer patients get an infection called folliculitus when their hair starts to fall out.

When I was first diagnosed, I had beautiful long strawberry blond hair. My poor husband panicked when I wanted to just shave it and be done with it prior to chemotherapy. So I didn't shave it.When it started to fall out my head started to hurt like crazy, then it started to burn, and after the burn came bloody little blisters. At that point,  my hair had to come off and I had to cut over those awful blisters. It was one of the worst cancer side effects I have had in three years. So shave your head and prevent the whole problem.

The first time I had my head shaved I went to a salon and had them shave my head. Of course, stylists in a women's salon don't use their clippers that much and the side effect of this for me was a burnt scalp. Plus I did not feel so good when I left, it was clearly harder for the stylist to shave my head than it was for me to have it shaved.

In January of 2014  I found out I would have to shave my head once again. This time I got smart and went to the men's barber shop. I figured who has more experience with clippers than a Barber who does fades all day long?

I was very lucky that we had a new Barber Shop, ProStyles, open up right around the corner from the house. Jay was kind enough to shave my head. It was very cool because he did not make a big deal out of it , he just gave me a super smooth head!

I had to go back and get it re shaved this week, and Jay once again did a wonderful job.

The guys at the shop are running an ongoing special for cancer survivors, go on in and get a shave and they will reduce the cost to $10.00

Give  them a call at (803) 732-1411 to schedule an appointment, they also take walk ins.

What is left of my hair before...

Myself and Jay, The Barber, after my shave....




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!